Current Job Opportunities
Canine Care Technician
The SPCA of Martinsville Henry County is looking for a cheerful, driven, experienced dog handler with the ability to work in a hectic work environment for our Canine Care Technician position. Do you have a passion for animals and a drive to help people? Can you thrive under pressure and have great time management skills? If that’s you, we need you! Submit your resume and cover letter (optional) to Catherine Gupton at email@example.com. No phone calls please!
90-day probationary period required. Animal care technicians work directly with the animal and must be comfortable with canines and felines. The Canine Care Technician would focus most heavily in the care, behavioral evaluation, and socialization of canines.
Shifts are typically 10-11 hours in length and start as early as 8am standard days (6am Wellness Clinics) and end approximately 6pm.
Full job descriptions available upon request. Summary thereof:
Essential Duties and Functions
· Responsible and humane treatment and handling of all sheltered animals following established cleaning protocols including daily feeding, watering, and sanitizing of housing areas to meet deadlines.
· Informing Facility Manager of supply and animal food needs.
· Maintain animal sheltering areas including housing, workspaces, public areas, and storage areas to comply with safety standards.
· Assists with animal intakes, behavioral observations, and/or medical treatments.
· Works cooperatively with all donors, employees, volunteers, vendors, and potential adopters.
· Demonstrates punctual, reliable, and regular attendance as part of a team.
· Practice and encourage the humane treatment of animals through daily interactions and humane education outreach programs.
· Follow directions of Facility Manager, Medical Director, and Executive Director.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Ability and comfort in behaviorally evaluating canines.
· Ability to pair multiple canines and read body/vocal cues for canine’s mental state.
· Ability to maintain canine rotation throughout the day in the attached play areas.
· Maintain cleanliness of canine play areas and canine kitchen.
· Maintain and update pictures, descriptions, and locations of canines.
· Create pitches for canines to rescue on a weekly basis.
· Ability to lift and transport materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
· Ability to handle and restrain animals effectively and humanely.
· Comfortable dealing with a wide range of animal behaviors and personalities.
· Frequent bending, reaching, kneeling, climbing step ladders, walking, and standing on feet for 8-10 hours per day while performing job functions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Commitment to the mission, values, goals, and success of the Martinsville Henry County SPCA.
· Detail-oriented; ability to recognize urgency, prioritize, and act quickly during crisis management.
· Exercises good judgement when dealing with confidential information regarding the public, personnel, organizational, or ANIMAL ISSUES.
· Experience in canine handling and behavior required.
· High school diploma or equivalent required.
· 18 years or older.
· Experience in animal health preferred.
· Available to work weekends, evening, and holiday shifts as needed REQUIRED.
· Must be a team-player and self-starter, able to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
· Valid Driver’s License.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time