Volunteers are a vital part of our shelter. We rely on volunteers for a variety of tasks including dog bathing, socialization of cats and dogs, special events, cleaning, filing, video services, etc. The SPCA is a great place to get volunteer hours for school, or if you just want to make a difference in the life of a shelter animal.
In an effort to make our volunteer program safer and more effective, we are making some changes that will take effect on January 1, 2018:
- Volunteers MUST report to the volunteer coordinator on duty when they enter the building to sign in.
- The minimum age for volunteers without supervision is now 16, rather 14. This is a change related to safety and staff liability.
- New volunteers will be required to attend mandatory group orientation. Group orientation will be held twice a month. Dates and times for orientation will be announced on our volunteer group Facebook page.
- Only 10 volunteers will be allowed in the facility at one time. This is a change also related to safety and staff liability.
- Volunteers who fail to comply with the expectations outlined in the volunteer handbook will be asked to leave the facility to allow for others who may be productive.
This is the first step in our relaunch process. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact our Community Relations Manager, Suzy Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.