Our volunteers are a vital part of our shelter. We rely on volunteers for a variety of tasks including dog washing, socialization of cats and dogs, special events, cleaning, filing, computer work, video services, etc. The SPCA is a great place to get in your volunteer hours for graduation. If you are thinking about getting into the animal care field as a career, volunteering at the SPCA is the perfect place to get a picture of what it is like to work with animals.
In an effort to make our volunteer program safer and more effective, we are making some changes that will take effect on May 15, 2016:
- Volunteers MUST report to the volunteer coordinator on duty when they enter the building to sign in.
- The minimum age for volunteers without supervision is now 16, rather 14. This is a change related to safety and staff liability.
- New volunteers will be required to attend one hour of mandatory training and orientation. The schedule of these trainings is posted below. Other dates and times will be added as need is evaluated. You may also schedule an orientation to fit your needs by contacting the shelter and asking for the volunteer coordinator.
- Only 15 volunteers will be allowed in the facility at one time. This is a change also related to safety and staff liability.
- Volunteers who fail to comply with the expectations outlined in the volunteer handbook will be asked to leave the facility to allow for others who may be productive.
This is the first step in our relaunch process. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact our volunteer coordinator Deanna McArthur at email@example.com.