Volunteers are a vital part of our shelter. We rely on volunteers for a variety of tasks including dog bathing, socialization of cats and dogs, special events, cleaning, filing, video services, etc. The SPCA is a great place to get volunteer hours for school, or if you just want to make a difference in the life of a shelter animal.
In an effort to make our volunteer program safer and more effective, we are making some changes that will take effect on January 1, 2018:
- Volunteers MUST report to the volunteer coordinator on duty when they enter the building to sign in.
- The minimum age for volunteers without supervision is now 16, rather 14. This is a change related to safety and staff liability.
- New volunteers will be required to attend mandatory group orientation. Group orientation will be held twice a month. Dates and times for orientation will be announced on our volunteer group Facebook page.
- Only 10 volunteers will be allowed in the facility at one time. This is a change also related to safety and staff liability.
- Volunteers who fail to comply with the expectations outlined in the volunteer handbook will be asked to leave the facility to allow for others who may be productive.